Saturday, September 4, 2010

Pesos por Besos

So after a lovely evening at Union Cristiana a group of 15 Americans and Chileans went to eat empanadas. We couldn't find a place that could take us, thus we went to Pizza Hut. While there a wandering musical group of students dressed like "Robin Hood Men in Tights" characters came into the restaurant to entertain us for with their witty and charming musical show.

One guy was leaping and bounding while kicking his tambourine. Impressive to say the least and comical. After their little show, we all gave a few pesos out of courtesy. [By the way, it's normal for something like this to happen. Musicians or vendors coming in to sell things in restaurants, buses, anywhere! Cultural difference.]

Moving along. I jokingly made the mistake after I thought the band had left the restaurant to my Chilean friends, "No besos?!" To which my fine Chilean friends ran out the restaurant after them. I stood up to get away, but it was too late. I was trapped in between everyone. So I was standing there laughing and mortified in front of everyone in Pizza Hut, as two of the 5 guys came waltzing in. They were quite excited and eager, I must say, waiting to give me a beso.

I resisted for awhile, until one of them proposed a hug, sparking a friend to shove me into him. This picture is of the resistance, but him encouraging me as well as a friend pushing me from behind.



I finally got over the humiliation and sucked it up. I didn't want to disappoint either. It's customary in Chile to greet with a kiss on the cheek anyways, so what's the big deal! I went ahead and gave in, allowing the first guy to give me a kiss of the cheek. Applause roared. Then, the second guy quickly moved in. He was gutsy though and asked for two! One on each cheek! This is the two-for guy...




It was a hilarious night of laughter, humiliation and fun! No big deal, just giving some pesos por besos.

No comments:

Post a Comment