Friday, October 22, 2010

Long time, no post.

Sorry, I am not good at the blogging thing unfortunately. I think I have a lot of ground to cover, but I will try and address it all little by little. Let's start with Fiestas Patrias which was a way, long time ago.

I have never eaten so many empanadas and grilled meat in my life! It was delicious and I had a blast with the whole family. We watched two great fireworks shows over the bay and enjoed time with the whole family. It started with Diego's school program where they danced the traditional dances of Chile. It was precious! On the actual day we went to the Botanical Gardens here with the entire family. We had 4 grills for all the meat and empanadas we could eat. We played traditional Chilean games, which are the same as in the states like 3-legged races, sack races and tug-of-war. I flew a kite for the first time in ages as well! Here are a few random sampling of pictures from the day.



This would be the men's sack race. I love it! There are the cheaters in the background pushing and shoving, and then Ariel, a cousin, taking the lead!



The little guys trying to do the three-legged-race.



Vicente, my cousin's son, in his precious "huaso" or Chilean cowboy outfit.



At the Botanical Gardens and people everywhere.



The tons of meat and grills we had.



Also to note there was a lot of Cueca, their national dance. Many people were wearing the traditional "country" or fockloric get-up for the celebrations, but even if you weren't everyone danced it practically. I did try my hand at the Cueca as well. It was quite hilarious and embarrassing, as I had no idea what my cousin was doing. He had no clue how to dance the Cueca making it harder for me. My uncle the second time round did know and it went a lot better. He joked that everyone had to dance with the "gringa" but thankfully that didn't happen.

Two days later we watched the Naval Review, which is a neat tradition where all of the naval fleets pass through the bay for inspection. Even the navy ships from other countries participated.




After all the festivities we rested and ate nothing. I couldn't even look at another piece of meat after everything was said and done. However, it was fun to experience their Independence day(s) here. They definitely went all out for their Bicentennial year and certainly know how to celebrate with the family. A good time had by all.

No comments:

Post a Comment